To understand SEO, understanding search engines is essential. The main goal of Google, Bing and the other major search players is to help people find the most relevant content possible. Search engines regularly scour the internet, website by website, to gain an understanding of what each site is about, who it's for and what search keywords match up.
Ensuring your website offers the most relevant, timely information possible to your target audience is the best way to increase your search rankings. The second part of this is ensuring that your site is set up, coded and organized as efficiently as possible to make it clear to the search engines what you have to offer.
Here are ten basic SEO tips to help you get there:
1. Add Relevant Content: Search engines love content. Increasing the amount of relevant, useful content will get more people to interact with your site, driving up your search rankings. Make your site a great resource for your target audience and search traffic will follow.
2. Frequency of Updates: Consistent drips of new content rather than one large yearly update are preferred.
3. Integrate Keywords: From headlines to title tags and page names, make sure that the keywords your audience is searching are present throughout your site.
4. Get Linked Up: As more pages link to your site, your rankings will slowly rise. Start by asking relevant industry associations to add your company link to their websites.
5. Optimize Your Source Code: Search engines love professionally coded sites, so review your site for bad pages and fix them. Ideally, hire a coding expert to clean and update your code. This includes URL normalization and other advanced SEO techniques.
6. Stay Active: Remove dead and/or duplicate pages from your website.
7. Make Text Count: Google prioritizes text over images, so don't place text inside an image whenever possible.
8. Tweak Your Navigation: Your main navigation links are also considered keywords and should be considered the pathway that search engines use to browse your site. Consider adding a sitemap as well.
9. Start Blogging: Adding new content on a regular basis is key – blogging regularly is a great way to keep your site fresh and search friendly.
10. Cross Linking: Cross linking between pages in your website, directing visitors to the most important pages, can improve website search visibility.
If you'd like a FREE SEO evaluation of your site, call Paul Provost at 204.474.1654 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our FREE SEO tool provides the starting point for a conversation on where your site currently stands and which improvements could benefit your business.